Early Wednesday morning, missiles were fired in several places located in Iraq. A senior U.S. military source who is in Iraq confirmed this to Fox News.
“Under missile attack from Iran. These are either cruise missiles or short-range ballistic missiles. All over the country,” said the military source. One of the locations hit was close to Al Assad Air Base in Anbar.
There have not been any details on injuries or damage was done.
This attack has come just days after Iranian general Qassem Soleimani was killed in a U.S. airstrike. Soleimani was responsible for killing hundreds of American troops, and there were reports that he was conjuring up new attacks right before his demise.
Tensions have been brewing between President Trump and Iranian officials since the death of Soleimani. Due to this, more U.S. troops have ultimately been deployed to the area as conflict continues to increase.
Known as the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), this Iran-backed militia in Iraq has been threatening to seek revenge on America. This past Sunday, lawmakers in Iraq have passed a resolution to kick out U.S. forces from the country. The same government just five years ago asked the U.S. to send troops after the Islamic State was taking over Iraq.
Soleimani was the leader of the Iran Revolutionary Guards’ elite Quds Force. The U.S. has continuously blamed him for killing numerous Americans, and his death occurred by a drone strike by Baghdad’s airport.
Since the killing, drama, and violence has erupted. During a funeral held for Soleimani, 56 or more Iranians were killed when a stampede of people crushed them. The funeral took place in Soleimani’s hometown of Kerman, where at least 200 people were injured as well.
The exact cause of what caused the horrifying stampede is still not confirmed. Disturbing videos online showed the deceased people lifeless on the ground.
Many leaders set on avenging Soleimani’s death have sent out many threats. The threatening remarks given are met with chants of “Death to Israel” from supporters. A report has shown 13 different plans that have been created to seek revenge. The secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, Ali Shamkhani, said that even the weakest members would become a “historic nightmare” for the United States. He did not give any further details about what that would entail.
“If the U.S. troops do not leave our region voluntarily and upright, we will do something to carry their bodies horizontally out,” Shamkhani said.
This violent rhetoric from Iran has caused the U.S. to send a warning to ships located in the Middle East.
Last year U.S. oil tankers were attacked, which was then blamed on Iran. The U.S. Navy sent ships to this region to minimize any further attacks.
The threats have continued to grow ferociously. Iranian lawmaker Abolfazl Abutorabi is reported to have plans to attack the White House. This was in response to President Trump’s remarks of having severe consequences for the Islamic country if it continues to create more hostilities.
“Iran is talking very boldly about targeting certain USA assets as revenge for our ridding the world of their terrorist leader who had just killed an American, & badly wounded many others, not to mention all of the people he had killed over his lifetime, including recently hundreds of Iranian protesters,” Trump tweeted.
President Trump also said that while Soleimani was alive and attacking our Embassy, he was getting ready to attack other U.S. locations and personnel.
Abutorabi’s comments came after he was questioned about how Iran should deal with Soleimani’s death.
“We can attack the White House itself; we can respond to them on the American soil. We have the power, and God willing, we will respond in an appropriate time,” Abutorabi said.
So is war inevitable at this point?
Well, according to Abutorabi, it is when he called Soleimani’s death a “declaration of war.”
Defense Secretary Mark Esper has promoted a warning to Iran about starting more conflict. He said, “The United States is not seeking a war with Iran, but we are prepared to finish one.”
Esper continued to say to reports at the Pentagon that the U.S. is seeking a diplomatic resolution. However, he said that this would only be possible if Iran were willing to deescalate their threats and violence. Further bloodshed of Americans would take this offer possibly off the table.
If self-defense is what is necessary, then Esper said we would act in our best interests as a country. Esper has also confirmed that the U.S. will not be withdrawing any troops at this point.
Going back to the most recent attacks, Iran’s use of ballistic missiles that targeted the al Asad airbase housing American troops has been an extreme act of aggression. A minimum of a dozen rockets was launched at the airbase. It has not been clear or confirmed if anyone was harmed or killed by the missiles.
As of now, reports are saying President Trump is monitoring the situation very carefully, but no word yet of any further details has emerged.
The Trump Administration is drawing up sanctions due to the possibility that Iraq’s leaders will charge forward with their orders to expel U.S. troops from their soil. Another public fact being reported is that Iran’s foreign minister has stated that the United States has currently denied him a visa in order to attend the United Nations meeting that will occur in New York.
The Islamic nations are targeting both the United States and our ally Israel. Violence and threats are continuing to pour in from Iran and Iraq. Talks of wars and what the future may hold has taken over the media.
As further details emerge and time goes on, the reality of what this means for our country will most likely become more evident. As of now, President Trump is fulfilling his promise of not allowing our enemies to cross the figurative redline without there being severe consequences.
Iran crossed the redline; now, we just have to wait and see how it unfolds.